Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cherokee Language Student Named to State Board

I always love to hear when my students achieve something exceptional.

Mike Dunn has been appointed to Kentucky’s Native American Heritage Commission, our equivalent of an Indian Affairs Commission.

Mike has been very active in Native affairs and veteran affairs here in Kentucky for years, and I think he’ll be a great asset to the commission.

When I did live Cherokee language classes two years ago in Taylorsville, KY (near Louisville), Several of the Dunns attended, and put in a lot of effort.

So congratulations to Mike Dunn, I’m sure you’ll make us all proud!


By the way, as I visit the Heritage Commission web page, it feels like a family reunion...

The woman who designed the Native American license plate is one of my students...

The three children who sang Cherokee songs for the event, along with their mother, were my students...

Perhaps people who make the effort to learn the language are just high achievers!


Brian Wilkes
www.SpeakCherokee.com


No comments: