Pages

Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday! And Operational Notes for Students

Tsunagilosdi gesv! It’s Friday!

Thank you for the response to the “America the Beautiful” video I posted last Saturday. It’s also raised some questions about Code Talkers, which I’ll address soon. For those of you who haven’t found it yet, there’s a page of sing-along videos. Spending some time with these daily will quickly increase your familiarity with the spoken language.

Today, just a few operational notes.

More people are joining this list every day, and may wonder just what we do here. To get on this mailing list, you’ve signed up at either the SpeakCherokee.com page or here on the SpeakCherokee blog page. Some of you no doubt want to poke around a bit before making a commitment to enroll in the course. Some of you may also be financially stressed, especially in the current economy, and trying to see what you can learn first without charge. Hey, nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time, too.

When you are ready to enroll, we’ll be ready.

When you enroll, I get a notification from PayPal, and I set a user name and password for you. I do this manually, because there just aren’t enough of you to justify paying for the automation. So I advise that it will be within 24 hours of the time I get the notification; but even I don’t live in front of the computer. I occasionally take a day off.

However, if you’ve enrolled through PayPal and haven’t heard back from me within 24 hours (if you enroll on a weekend, it could be longer), something could be wrong. If you send me e-mail about this please INCLUDE A PHONE NUMBER! Because so many e-mail systems have filters these days, there’s a chance you won’t receive my e-mail reply. You system may send me to the junk bin. I may need clarification on the problem. Recently, I helped to talk a student through a browser plug-in upgrade to allow her to hear the audios. So if you’re sending a question about access and passwords, please include a phone number.

SPEAK FIRST, WRITE LATER

The teaching approach we use duplicates the way a child learns his or her first language: by imitating the adult hundreds and thousands of times with no real grasp of the rules of grammar. This is an online, audio-based approach. We show the Cherokee syllabary only to provide familiarity; in Level 1 we won’t really be dealing with the written language.

ABOUT PAYPAL:

When your renewal is due, PayPal attempts to make the payment, If you haven’t funded your account, or don’t haven't it linked to your bank account or credit card, the payment fails. PayPal makes another attempt within a week. After three failed attempts at payment, your subscription is automatically canceled by PayPal.

TIGHT ON MONEY?

Trust me, as President Clinton used to say, “I feel your pain.” I make my living online, and help people do the same. I have a system that will let you start an online business with no money, utilizing free online resources and software. Yes it’s work, but that’s one of those four-letter words: life, work, pain, love. You can learn more over on my business blog, Stimulus Package. You can sign up for the newsletter, or just check the blog from time to time.

Until next time, SpeakCherokee!

Brian Wilkes

No comments: